Monday, December 27, 2010

Quietly panicking

Jon and I will be making the 2 hour trip to meet the birth parents of our little girl in a little bit. I'm incredibly excited, but ridiculously nervous. I have an idea of what I want to say/ask, but I don't know if its too personal, emotional, none of my business etc. However, she is handing over her baby for us to raise. Is anything really off limits at this point?
We found out that she does not want to see the baby after shes born. Its kind of a relief, but it makes me really nervous. Its good because she is mentally preparing herself to say good bye to this baby. However, she said she doesn't want to see the baby so she wont have the chance to fall in love with her. That scares me, especially because they recommend moms see the baby to say good bye. I have a thousand what ifs going through my head. I know they are all pointless to worry about now, but I can't help myself.
I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst, but it kills me to think that this might not work out so I'm trying to stay positive. How do you balance the two extremes? How do people choose to adopt a second time?

1 comment:

Mom said...

Sweetie, stay positive. Once they have met you and Jon they will feel better about the whole process. You are excellent parents--that's all any adoptive parents could wish for their child. You are so close...just hang in there and show her how much you will love your "shared" daughter.