Sunday, June 6, 2010

Yard sale

My friend, Debbie and I had a yard sale yesterday. Her family is also adopting a baby so we got some friends to donate items and we had a massive sale to help finance our adoptions (Thanks for the idea, Betsy).

12 families contributed to the sale. We received a little bit of everything from shoes to baked goods, dishes to a drum set. The location was even loaned to us from a couple at church. We had an amazing day. We had a couple friends, and my mom, with us the entire day helping out. More family and friends were in and out all day long to support us, drop off goodies and do some shopping. Customers started coming before the sale officially started. It started raining for the last half hour of the sale, but people kept coming and shopping, so, we got wet! We did better than anyone expected, but we still have a bunch of stuff to sell. We plan to have another sale at the end of the month when the city hosts a sale weekend. Thank you to everyone who stayed up way too late Friday night, got up way too early Saturday morning, donated items, food, time, muscle, cars, money, the house etc. The sale was a huge success thanks to all of you!

Its nice to have something to take my mind off the waiting. It wasn't as bad while we were waiting for the home study to be completed. At least there was a reason for our waiting. Now, we're just waiting for someone to decide they can't keep their baby. I feel awful for wishing that on someone. Not that I'm really wishing it, but that is the only way this adoption will be completed.

I talked to our social worker last week. She told me that things have slowed down the past couple weeks. She hasn't had a dry spell like this in a while. It sounds so cold to put it like that. Of course, I wouldn't want any mom to have to give up their baby especially if their was a chance of them being able to provide a decent life for them. I'm just waiting for that mom to come in that knows with out a doubt that adoption is the way to go for her. In the mean time, I will continue to hold my breath every time the phone rings!

No comments: